As the weather gets warmer, our pups can’t wait for long walks, a game of fetch, or a nice jog with us. Regular outdoor exercise keeps your dog lean, muscular, and strengthens their well-being. The Westchester and Fairfield County areas have great spots for our furry friends to get outside and enjoy the warm weather.
The Pets a Go Go team wants to share our favorite local spots to get your dog outside and moving.
- Kensico Dam.1 Bronx River Parkway Rd, Valhalla, NY 10595. This park is the perfect place for a beautiful scenic walk that overlooks the dam and a plaza down below. It offers a relaxing stroll for you and your pup to enjoy springtime weather together. The park also has a large grass area that lays before the upper walking trail where your dog can play a game of frisbee, fetch, or have a picnic and soak up the sun. This area is great for dogs of all breeds and sizes.
- Saxon Woods Park Trail in Harrison. Saxon Woods Park – South Entrance, 500 Mamaroneck Ave, Harrison, NY 10528. This trail is located in the woods of Harrison, NY, and offers a relaxing three-mile hike with small creeks and beautiful trees. Your dog will love running through the water and taking in all the new sights and sounds throughout the walk. This trail is also perfect for smaller dogs because of its semi-short distance.
- Ward Acres Park. 300 Broadfield Rd, New Rochelle, NY 10804. Ward Acres Park is a pet-friendly park located in the Wykagyl section of the city of New Rochelle, NY. It is a 62-acre park offering forested hiking trails, a dog run, and meadows. The open space of grass is perfect for a game of fetch with your dog. The park also offers an area where you can run with your dog for a more upbeat workout.
- Rye Dog Beach. Rye, NY 10580. Looking to take in beautiful views of the Long Island Sound while spending time with your best friend? Now until May 5, 2023 dogs have the opportunity to explore Rye beach and splash around in the water off-leash. This is a great opportunity to get your dog swimming in Westchester.
- Lake Mohegan. 960 Morehouse Hwy. Fairfield, CT 06824. This beautiful hiking trail is pet friendly. The trail overlooks a lake, bridges, and even has a small beach area for your dog to take a dip in the water. Off-leash dogs are allowed and even encouraged! This hike can also be an opportunity for a training session for your dog to learn to stay close and follow commands due to other dogs and puppy swimming areas.
- Mianus River State Park. Merriebrook Ln, Stamford, CT 06902. This is a great and relaxing place for you and your furry one to go on a relaxing walk and soak up the sun. It is a gorgeous tree-covered area with beautiful rivers. The area is a relatively flatter terrain, so is also perfect for smaller dogs too!
Springtime is a perfect time to finally get your dog moving out and about again after the long winter! Westchester and Fairfield Counties both offer great pet-friendly walking areas to enjoy the nice weather. Always remember to bring water, an extra bag to clean up after your pet, and a leash.