Introducing a new pup to your family is a decision that takes a lot of preparation and research. Whether you’re in the beginning stages of your journey or almost ready to bring home your forever companion, it is helpful to narrow down your options with a list of breeds known to be a great addition to a family with little ones.
We know you can’t wait to deliver the good news to the kids, and we can’t wait to meet the new addition to the family finally, but how do we find the perfect match? There are so many breeds and possibilities, and everyone has a different opinion; let us help narrow it down for you.
A few factors to consider when preparing to find the perfect match are whether they are generally good with children and have a friendly personality, what their energy level, size, trainability, and grooming needs are and how this compares to your family’s lifestyle and schedule.
Everyone’s needs are different, and that goes for both dogs and dog owners, which is why it’s essential to find the perfect match. Here are Pets a Go Go’s top five breeds that are a great addition to a family with kids:
- Labrador Retriever: according to the American Kennel Club, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog breed in the US, and we can see why. These pups are active, love to play, and are very friendly, automatically making them a perfect companion for children. While they grow to reach a significant weight of between 60 and 70 pounds, Labrador Retrievers are easy to groom and train.
- Golden Retriever: This breed presents similar traits to Labrador Retrievers (they would have wonderful play dates). Golden Retrievers are active and love long walks, hiking, and daily physical activity. They are happy to please their owners, train, and learn new tricks while being loyal, devoted, and your child’s new best friend.
- French Bulldog: These furbabies are often referred to as the perfect city dog as they are small, friendly, and adapt well to almost every environment. If you live in an apartment or residential building without much space, this might be the right breed for you. French Bulldogs are easily trainable, don’t bark often, and a daily walk is enough to keep them happy. Children love them because they are playful and gentle.
- Beagle: We know them, love them, and can’t stay away from them. If you have a lot of space and a big backyard, a beagle might be the perfect companion for you. This breed has tons of energy, love to explore its surroundings, and is very vocal. Beagles could play ball in the yard for hours and keep themselves and your children entertained all year round.
- Collie: This breed is the definition of loyal and is highly intelligent. Collies are devoted, protective, and classy. They love a good exercise session but will also enjoy resting at home with the whole family after a long day of exploring. Their gentle temperament makes Collies great playmates for their human siblings.
Once you welcome your new furbaby into your home, we’d love to be a part of your journey to get the new member of your family accustomed to their environment. To learn more about our training programs and doggie daycare options which allow dogs to spend their days interacting with similarly sized, age, and like-minded pups playing and exercising with their second favorite humans, visit our website.