There are many reasons not to give our furry friends table food. But perhaps the most important reason is that many tasty treats that we enjoy are extremely toxic to our pets. Chocolate and grapes are well known dangers, but did you know that avocados can be very poisonous to your furbaby? So, secure that guac and check out the handy chart here for a quick reference to other foods that should pose a red flag.
Now, what to do if your pup happens to eat one of these foods? It is very important to take the proper steps for getting the right care for your pet. Depending on what they may have ingested and how much, every minute may count.
- Collect Evidence – quickly gather any packaging or remnants of what was eaten as well as try to determine how much and when.
- Look for symptoms – is your dog vomiting? Breathing heavily? Lethargic?
- Call for help – if you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, either call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) which is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at (888) 426-4435. It is always a good idea to always have these phone numbers posted somewhere conspicuous in case of an emergency.
ALWAYS seek veterinary help immediately if you know, or even suspect, that your pup has ingested something toxic or potentially dangerous. Sometimes the effects aren’t immediately obvious, and some symptoms may take longer to appear.